Looking For A Pet To Adopt?
As you go through your day-to-day routine, do you ever feel that something is missing in your life? If that is the case, trust us, you are not alone. In fact, you are probably one of many people who are in need of an animal companion.
Adopting a pet can be one of the greatest decisions you will ever make. However, just be sure to consider everything that comes with a pet before you make that life-changing decision.
What To Consider Before Pet Adoption
Although adopting an energetic puppy or a cuddly kitten may sound like a phenomenal idea, you should strongly consider the following points before taking on that responsibility.
- Desire: Why do you want to adopt a pet?
- Be sure that you are adopting a kitten or puppy for the right reasons. They may be cute and cuddly, but they also require a large amount of time, attention and training. You will need to make sure you are ready to commit to loving and providing for a new companion. If you are uncertain about whether or not you want a pet, you should consider researching a bit more before making the commitment
- Finances: Are you in a stable financial situation to care for a pet?
- Pets are wonderful, but they are also expensive. Between the annual checkups, vaccines and medications, you will also need to factor in daily expenses of food, grooming, training, toys, litter, etc. The expenses of an animal companion really do add up quickly. Be sure that you are prepared, and able, to provide your furry friend with what he/she needs. Additionally, you will need to consider the finances for an emergency situation. In case of sickness, an injury or another unforeseen situation, will you be financially able to take care of your pet?
- Time: Will you have the time to be attentive to your new pet and all of his/her needs?
- Especially in the early stages of adopting a pet, time spent with your new pup or kitten is of the essence. Adoption will be a major adjustment not only for you, but for your furry companion as well. You both will be adjusting to a new environment, schedule, and getting to know each other. You will need to be able to dedicate enough time with your new pet to establish a relationship. You will also need to train him, care for him, and provide him the essential food, water and exercise. The amount of time you are able to dedicate daily to your new loved one is a major factor to consider.
- Residence: Do you live in an area/place that is suitable for a pet?
- Do you rent a home or apartment? If so, make sure that your lease allows you to have a pet. Look for any restrictions on what pets are allowed, whether it be their weight, size or breed. Also, is your place of residence an adequate size for your future pet? Certain breeds of dogs need to have room to run and jump around. You will need to consider if you will be providing them with enough space to live comfortably. The furniture and belongings in your house are aspects to consider before pet adoption as well. Be prepared to have some of your material items scratched, chewed or ruined from accidents. Considering whether or not your home is suitable for your new friend is an imperative aspect in the pet adoption process.
Pet adoption could change your life for the better, but it is only fair to yourself and to your future pet that you are prepared. For further items to consider, check out the following Pet Adoption Checklists:
Shelters We Work With
Research suggests that almost 8 million animals, mostly cats and dogs, are brought to an animal shelter each year in need of a good home. We are hoping to bring that number down and provide wonderful homes to the animals in the shelters we work with each day.
The two animal shelters we work closely with are:
- New Albany Pet Rescue
- Opelt Rescue
Ready to Adopt? Here’s What You Should Do
Have you considered all of the stipulations of adopting a new pet? Are you ready to adopt and give a dog or cat a new and loving home? You can fill out the following applications by clicking the links below:
All of us at Riverside Animal Care Clinic would like to play a part in your exciting adventure to bring a new, furry bundle of joy into your household. You may not be the only one feeling lonely and missing something. There are pets in need of a loving family that feel the same way. You could be one of the next individuals to rescue a puppy or a kitten, and we are here to help! Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.